Memoirs of a Writer pt. 1

Writing has always been a passion of mine. My earliest memory goes back to when I was 9 years old in the 4th grade. I formulated this journal where I was determined to express myself and write down every aspect of my life. After that, I remember being in the 5th grade when I progressed from using loose leaf paper to my first real journal!!
I got it from the school's book fair and when I saw it I knew I had to have it! It was blue, with the image of a full moon and two wolves standing on a mountain. It was so alluring and special to me, it got me through a lot of hard times.
It was in my journal that I wrote my very first poem entitled All Eyes on Me. Unfortunately, I don’t exactly remember how the poem goes but it was about the constant negative attention I felt I was receiving because of my skin tone. Thanks to this new outlet I submitted my poem in the school’s poetry competition and of all people I placed second!! Yes, I would have liked to have won but I was satisfied with just placing and being acknowledged!
From that point, I poured my heart out every chance I got, writing my way to a new chapter in my life.
To Be Continued…