PrimeTime Gay: Where are the happy Black Gay Couples



Anyone who knows me should know that I'm a huge television fan. I have a favorite show for just about every genre of television and in recent years I've found television to become friendlier towards the LGBT community. PROPS FOR THAT. What better way to rescind the ignorance of American's towards the gay community then by introducing unaware individuals to the culture; within the comfort of their living room. I have no problem with this and will continue to show support of shows who tastefully display the uniqueness of gay culture, but I have one question; where are the representations of black gay couples on prime-time TV?
Of the few prime-time shows that display gay relationships, I've noticed that none feature men of color; and by color I do mean more than just African American's. What does this say about our developing society? Why are White homosexual couples displayed so easily on television but Black counterparts are predominately scarce? I for one thought that in the fight for equality, all races would be included. If the agenda of these shows truly is to promote acceptance of gay relationships, then I strongly believe that it's a failed cause. By only highlighting a certain aspect, or group, misconceptions can easily develop as these shows offer no variety of characters and culture. Just look at the examples: 
Modern Family is a critically acclaimed series best known for its display of the evolution of what constitutes a family in modern society. A key element to the show is the token gay couple, Mitchell, and Cameron. Though both men are representations of the diversity of personalities that exist within the gay community, neither character is relatable to black audiences. In fact, the relationship shown in the show The New Normal closely parallels that of Modern Family: A white couple facing the difficulties of being gay and starting a family. I love the shows, but once again none of these men can be considered "relatable" by non-white audiences. Not saying that some of the situations encountered by these characters aren't universal, but it takes more than sexual orientation to make something relatable. How can I relate to these men when they don't look like me or face the challenges I face. The closest prime time television has come to showing a gay couple of color was with the short-lived series the L.A. Complex, but sadly there was nothing healthy about that relationship.
So where does this leave us? What is the future for gay couples of color on primetime television and is that future necessarily a good one? These I do not have the answer to, but I do know that the first step to getting closer representation to oneself on television starts with demanding it. The issue of the lack of diversity of gay couples on prime television goes beyond color and creates a big misconception as to what the average gay couple looks like. Ask yourself, are the men portrayed on these shows anything like you? And then ask yourself who are these depictions really trying to appeal to?