The Cancun Experience


Let me first start off by saying that I have really, REALLY missed writing. There’s nothing like me sitting alone, in the dark, lost in my thoughts writing away. Traveling to and returning from Cancun has made me realize how vast the world is and how eager I am to see it all. But enough about future plans lets discuss Cancun.
Cancun was definitely a once in a lifetime experience for me. I do not believe if, when, I go again the experience will be as good as the first time. I will admit when we first arrived there was a little bit of culture shock for me as when you are an American you can’t imagine a society of where you are in fact the minority. Strangely in a sense being Black in Cancun was like being…well, Black in my own home. I guess what I’m trying to say is that for the first time in a long time my skin tone wasn’t a factor in my identity. Sure I was Black in Mexico but as much as I stood out I felt like I blended in naturally. Strange but that’s how comfortable I was. Anywho, on to other experiences my friends and I stayed at the Krystal hotel. I’m not a hotel hopper, but this was a pretty nice hotel. Beach view from my room and it was conveniently placed right next to all the hottest clubs: The City, Coco Bongo and Bulldogs just to name a few.
Speaking of clubs I’m going to officially make Cancun the party capital of the world. The locals there party there from sunrise to sunset and still get up in time to make it to work. We Americans think we party hard we have nothing on Mexicans. Not going to spend too much time on the partying aspect but I will say that I enjoyed myself EMENSELY! There was never a dull moment.
As my friends know I am very attracted to Hispanic men and boy oh boy was there a selection. Cubans, Dominicans, Columbians, and then some as far as the eye could see, all of them of unique shades and hues. But aside from admiring their beauty I made a few new friends that helped me to further immerse myself in the culture. My favorite part of my stay was when my friend Antonio took us downtown to go to the club.
We had to take the bus and leave behind all of the dazzling lights and hotels to enter the streets with broken lights and condemned buildings. To me, that was the real Cancun, as the reality of seeing a homeless man sleep on some steps and a homeless woman beg for money reminded me of the irony of our situation. Yes, we were on vacation and as luxurious as things were right around the corner were people not so lucky.
Reality set in on Sunday night as we were slowly reminded that the vacation had to come to an end. It was a bitter-sweet moment, I missed America, but I surely could have used just one more day of fun in the sun.