Wendy Williams: Tolerance Not Acceptance

Wendy Williams just can't seem to catch a break these days. The controversial talk show host enraged social media, again, when she took it upon herself to police the fashion of others. Prior to Valentine's day, the host references Galentine, a term referencing women without a partner celebrating the day with their best gal pals. No one seemed to take issue with this, but apparently Williams took issue with the male members of her audience who applauded while she introduced the segment prompting this response: “Well, first of all, if you’re a man and you’re clapping, you’re not even a part of this. You don’t even understand the rules of the day... It’s women going out and getting saucy and then going back home... I don’t care if you’re gay. You don’t get a mense every 28 days, all right? You can do a lot that we do, but I get offended by the idea that we go through something you will never go through. And stop wearing our skirts and our heels. Just saying, girls, what do we have for ourselves?"

Naturally the backlash was quick and another social media wildfire was started. Aside from the comments bordering on homophobic, many took issue with the statement coming from Williams primarily because she has considered herself a LGBTQ ally in the past. Even attending pride events. Not one to apologize often, unless pressured by White studio executives, Williams has since offered an apology to the community but according to many her apology lacks sincerity.

"I apologize, I did not mean to offend my LGBTQ+ community. I never do this show in a place of malice... I understand my platform with the community... I didn’t mean to hurt anybody’s feelings. I’m just having a conversation. I’m 55 years old and maybe I sounded like your auntie, your mother, your big sister, or somebody out of touch. I’m not out of touch, except for perhaps yesterday, by saying what I said. So I deeply apologize and I deeply appreciate the support that I get from the community. I will do better. I appreciate you supporting me. Thank you."

Now, while it's no secret that William's style of journalism follows the pattern of Howard Stern, being as crass and disrespectful as possible knowing that a certain shock factor is a way of keeping an audience growing, these particular comments are more than William's being tongue and check. Williams displays perfectly tolerance, not acceptance. Wendy Williams doesn't need to apologize for saying how she felt. It's how she truly feels despite just two days prior praising Zara Wade for her confidence. While offering an apology for offending the LGBT community what Williams neglects to state is that clothes have no gender and that everyone should be able to what makes them comfortable. Despite public backlash it doesn't look like the tv host is going anywhere anytime soon.